Medicare Part B

About Medicare Part B

Medicare Part B is one of the two main components of the federal Medicare program in the United States. It primarily covers medical insurance and related outpatient services. Here are some key points about Medicare Part B:

  1. Outpatient Services: Medicare Part B covers a wide range of outpatient medical services and supplies that are considered medically necessary. This includes doctor’s office visits, preventive care, diagnostic tests, and durable medical equipment (such as wheelchairs or oxygen).

  2. Preventive Services: Part B covers many preventive services, including screenings, vaccinations, and annual wellness visits, often at no cost to the beneficiary. This is intended to help catch health issues early and prevent more serious health problems.

  3. Doctor and Specialist Visits: Part B covers visits to physicians and specialists, including specialists like cardiologists, dermatologists, and orthopedic surgeons.

  4. Ambulance Services: It covers medically necessary ambulance services to transport a patient to a hospital or other medical facility.

  5. Outpatient Surgery: Part B covers certain medically necessary outpatient surgeries, procedures, and therapies.

  6. Durable Medical Equipment (DME): This includes coverage for items like crutches, walkers, home oxygen equipment, and more.

  7. Lab Tests and X-Rays: Part B covers a wide range of diagnostic tests, including blood tests, X-rays, and MRIs.

  8. Limited Prescription Drug Coverage: While Part B doesn’t typically cover most prescription drugs, it does cover certain medications administered in a clinical setting, such as chemotherapy drugs.

  9. Monthly Premium: Unlike Medicare Part A (which is usually premium-free for those who have paid Medicare taxes), beneficiaries typically pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part B. The premium amount can vary based on income.

  10. Annual Deductible and Coinsurance: Beneficiaries are responsible for an annual deductible for Part B services, after which Medicare generally covers 80% of the approved amount for covered services, and the beneficiary is responsible for the remaining 20%.

  11. Enrollment: Individuals can initially enroll in Medicare Part B during their Initial Enrollment Period (IEP), which usually begins three months before they turn 65 and lasts for seven months. There are also Special Enrollment Periods (SEPs) for those who have qualifying events or coverage from an employer.

Medicare Part B is a critical component of Medicare, as it covers a wide range of essential healthcare services that individuals often need in their day-to-day lives. Many beneficiaries choose to combine both Part A and Part B to get comprehensive coverage for both inpatient and outpatient care. Some also opt for Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) to receive their Medicare benefits, which often include coverage for Part A and B services, as well as additional benefits like prescription drug coverage.

Make an Appointment

Do not put off until tomorrow the problems that need to be addressed today, especially if it concerns your health!

About Us

You can receive assistance comparing Medicare supplement plans (Medigap), Medicare Advantage plans, Prescription Drug Plans, and Dental insurance.

Free Services


Save Time

We do not offer every plan available in your area. Any information we provide is limited to those plans we do offer in your area. Please contact or 1 (800) MEDICARE to get information on all of your options.
Copyright © 2023 ShopMedicareHealth, All rights reserved.

Add Your Heading Text Here

Проснувшись однажды утром после беспокойного сна, Грегор Замза обнаружил, что он у себя в постели превратился в страшное насекомое.

Проснувшись однажды утром после беспокойного сна, Грегор Замза обнаружил, что он у себя в постели превратился в страшное насекомое.